We’re officially re-opening!
Thank you for staying home and waiting patiently for us these past few months. It’s been too long since art filled the walls of our gallery, and we’ve missed bringing exhibitions with the community.
Now that the province is in Phase 3, we feel ready to welcome you all back into the Deer Lake Gallery, starting with a scaled-back version of our 50th anniversary exhibition. 2020 was meant to be a year filled with celebration, as the Burnaby Arts Council enters its 50th year. We have entered a new chapter, it just looks a little different than expected.
So please join us in this small celebration through a showcase of local Burnaby artists as they imagine the city through their eyes, and a retrospective of the BAC in the past 50 years.
Safety is our first priority, in opening up our doors again. So if you do plan a trip to the gallery, please do review our Safety Guidelines (below) beforehand.
Visit the Art Since 1970 page for more information about the exhibition.
- Please stay home if you are feeling sick or displaying respiratory symptoms.
- Gatherings, member activities and events in excess of 50 people are prohibited at this time.
- Doors are one-way only, enter through the front door and exit through the back, with the exception of individuals with wheelchairs and other mobility limitations.
- Please follow directional arrows in the space to the best of your abilities.
- Maximum capacity of 5 people, or 1 group inside at a time.
- Paper programs will not be distributed during exhibitions, visitors are encouraged to go online for more information.
- Hand sanitizer will be provided at the entrance of the Gallery and visitors are encouraged to use upon entry.
- Masks will be offered upon entry. We encourage you to wear a mask throughout the duration of your visit.
- While you’re inside, please be mindful of others and maintain a 2 meter distance.
- Any transactions will be managed by staff, using cashless payment methods when possible.
- Entrances will be left open to reduce contact with door handles.
- Kitchen access is prohibited to the public at this time.
- Outdoor activities that require chairs will have limited capacity in the backyard. Chairs and tables will be spaced 2 meters apart to ensure physical distancing.
- Chairs and other equipment used by the public will be wiped down after each use with disinfectant.
*These guidelines are subject to change in light of changing circumstances and recommendations from provincial health authorities.
The Deer Lake Gallery remains closed, but we are actively working on bringing you ways to appreciate the arts online, or at safe distances!
We’re hosting 2 upcoming outdoor events, do check them out!
In light of the current situation regarding COVID-19 and the rapidly changing conditions, I am sad to announce that we will be postponing our upcoming exhibition, Luminescence V, indefinitely, along with all our events and programming.
The Burnaby Arts Council has taken all factors into consideration and after much discussion, we have made the difficult decision to close our office and the Deer Lake Art Gallery to the public. The office will still be operating during normal office hours, and our staff team will still be available to contact via e-mail if you have any ongoing questions or concerns.
- To all our volunteers
Thank you for your continued support of the Deer Lake Gallery and for taking the time to come out and attend the gallery. While we will not be needing any volunteers for the foreseeable future, we look forward to working with you again once the situation has calmed down.
- To our supporters
While we will be closed for a period, we will continue to update everyone on our social media channels, so please follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and subscribe to our newsletter for the latest news. Thank you for always supporting us by coming to our exhibitions, live music events, and participating in workshops and artists talks.
The health and safety of all our members, staff, volunteers and visitors is our number one priority. Over the next few weeks, we will be closely monitoring the situation for any changes.
As we evaluate our current plan, please bear with us for a bit as we work on a strategy for future activities. Responses may be slower than usual.
In the meantime, we will be working on renovating our current website so we can continue bringing you amazing local art along with ways to support the individual artists.
While social distancing means avoiding crowded places, the sun has been shining and Deer Lake Park is the perfect place to get some fresh air and relax during an uncertain time.
BC Alliance for Arts + Culture has put together an extensive list of resources for Artists and Arts Organizations
Follow us on Social Media for updates
Deer Lake Gallery Page
Until things calm down, our staff will be working from home and will be reachable by email.
If you need to contact us: