2021 Call is NOW OPEN!
Call for Exhibition Proposals at the Deer Lake Art Gallery
The Burnaby Arts Council has a mandate to reach out to and engage with community in many ways. We seek to reinforce that the arts contribute significantly to the quality of life in Burnaby. The Arts Council is interested in exploring ways arts can be used in our city to draw community together, creating programs and public presence. We also wish to create a broad range of programs and gallery exhibitions to reflect the diversity of cultures in our community, being inclusive and respectful of all cultures. We wish to celebrate and enable emerging and professional artists through a professional exhibition in a public space, which serves to promote artists, to increase public awareness of art, and to make original art by local artists accessible to the general public.
CALL FOR 2D, 3D AND INSTALLATION WORK
The Burnaby Arts Council is currently accepting submissions for our 2021 exhibition schedule at Deer Lake Art Gallery.
We invite visual artists working with all media including painting, photography, mixed media, sculpture, ceramics, wood, metal work and installation work. Photography or digital mixed media work may sell prints otherwise all other work must be original. No giclee prints, photocopies, numbered prints, or commercial reproductions will be accepted for exhibition.
Accepted exhibitions will last between three to six weeks with an opening reception and potential artists talks or workshops.
The Burnaby Arts Council will (at no cost to the artist):
- Manage the installation and take-down of the works
- Organize the opening reception for the exhibition (generally take place on Saturdays, 12 – 4pm)
- Produces marketing materials and promotes the exhibition (press release, social media, online listings)
As a non-profit organization, we offer an honorarium for artist talks and workshops, but are unable to provide artist fees for our exhibitions at this time.
About the Deer Lake Gallery
Deer Lake Gallery only exhibits one theme per show, so all artists exhibiting would be part of one theme. Artists are welcome to submit individually or as part of a group. Exhibition proposals should include the artist’s intentions, theme, idea or concept.
For General Inquiries about submitting your application:
E-mail us: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Artwork must be ready to display according to accepted gallery standards.
- By submitting, successful artists grant permission to use images of artwork for publicity purposes (with proper attribution)
- Artwork cannot have been displayed in Burnaby within a 2 years prior to the application.
- You may be asked to volunteer time to sit the gallery on certain days during the exhibition
Sales: Artwork is not required to be for sale during the exhibition. A 30% commission is retained by the Burnaby Arts Council on all works sold.
Membership: You do not have to be a current BAC member to apply, but will be required if your proposal is accepted.
You will need the following information to submit your application!
- A short bio (300 – 500 characters)
- An artist statement that provides a brief introduction to your practice and a description of the works you are submitting for consideration
- Images of the proposed artworks attached as jpg fies (max. 10)
- A numbered list of works including: Title, Medium, Size dimensions, and price/value
Entry Fee: There is a $15 jury fee